Parallel Storage Expertly Integrated by Nor-Tech
Parallel storage offers several advantages over direct attached storage (DAS). By leveraging fast, scalable, external disk systems with massively parallel access to data, users can perform analysis against much larger datasets than they can by batching large datasets through memory. When a parallel file system is used in conjunction with the in-memory database advantages include:
- A significant decrease in operational latency per query, especially when running queries that search through massive amounts of data.
2. Parallelization of query threads in a single shared namespace lets users treat any data workload independently of other data workloads.
3. Supports simultaneous read/write operations on a single namespace for the entre database.
- Allows for sharing of data among different independent instances. Many instances can view the same data–meaning that strategies for data sharing and private data segments may be consolidated onto the same space.
- Avoids the need for administrators to physically copy data around the network or disks, as automatic space allocation balancing is built-in to the parallel FS.
5. Context can be striped around all FS servers, or can be allocated against each server.
When adding high performance storage to an HPC cluster, file systems can become a limiting factor; the cost of the storage expansion can sometimes be as expensive as the cluster itself. This is where BeeGFS and other parallel file systems come in as a cost-effective, highly scalable, high performance alternative to traditional storage platforms.
BeeGFS runs on any Linux server/cluster and consists of several components that include services for clients, metadata servers and storage servers. In addition, there is a service for the management host as well as one for a graphical administration and monitoring system. .
As a parallel file system, BeeGFS spreads user data across multiple servers to simplify I/O intensive workloads. By increasing the number of servers and disks in a system, users can scale the performance and capacity of their storage–making it possible to start with a small storage cluster and seamlessly expand into an enterprise-wide, multi-Petabyte system.
Compared to other parallel file systems, the performance of BeeGFS in terms of simplicity and functionality stands alone. It offers the best overall combination of features, performance, and scalability, combined with ease of deployment and management. It is truly a turnkey storage solution.
Nor-Tech is on CRN’s list of the top 40 Data Center Infrastructure Providers along with IBM, Oracle, Dell, and Supermicro and is also a member of Hyperion Research’s prestigious HPC Technical Computing Advisory Panel. The company is a complete high performance computer solution provider for 2015 and 2017 Nobel Physics Award-contending/winning projects. Nor-Tech engineers average 20+ years of experience. This strong industry reputation and deep partner relationships also enable the company to be a leading supplier of cost-effective Lenovo desktops, laptops, tablets and Chromebooks to schools and enterprises. All of Nor-Tech’s high performance technology is developed by Nor-Tech in Minnesota and supported by Nor-Tech around the world. The company is headquartered in Burnsville, Minn. just outside of Minneapolis. Nor-Tech holds the following contracts: Minnesota State IT, GSA, University of Wisconsin System, and NASA SEWP V. To contact Nor-Tech call 952-808-1000/toll free: 877-808-1010 or visit https://www.nor-tech.com.